The intent of this standard is that students will begin developing neat, legible handwriting.
Students will learn to print uppercase and lowercase letters of the alphabet.
Students need explicit, direct instruction to learn to form uppercase and lowercase manuscript letters correctly.
Reproducing letters with automatically assists with learning sounds, spelling words and word recognition.
Teaching appropriate pencil grip will assist students with printing in manuscript.
| || |
All students should
· understand that there are correct ways to write the manuscript letters of the alphabet.
· understand that their written name provides identification.
understand that printing properly formed letters makes manuscript writing legible.
To be successful with this standard, students are expected to
· use appropriate pencil grip.
· print upper- and lower-case letters of the alphabet legibly and independently.
· use manuscript letter formation.
· use manuscript number formation.
· form the letters of and space their first and last names.
· write their first and last names for a variety of purposes.
Capitalize the first word in a sentence and the pronoun I.