|American Indian peoples have lived in Virginia and in other regions of America for thousands of years.|
American Indians developed different cultures because they lived in different environments of North America.
American Indians have made contributions to life in America and continue to make contributions in the present day.
|In what ways were past American Indian lifestyles in Virginia similar to and different from those of the Lakota and Pueblo Indians?|
What are some contributions of American Indian culture to present-day life?
How are American Indians of the past different from those of today?
Terms to know
• culture: The beliefs, customs, and way of life of a group of people
• region: Places that have common (the same) characteristics
• environment: Surroundings
Comparison of three American Indian cultures of the past
Region, Eastern Woodlands
Wood frame houses with bark/reed covering
Multi-story terraced buildings
Contributions of American Indians
• Arts (pottery, weaving, carving)
• Knowledge of the environment
• Respect for nature
• Farming of corn and tobacco
Changes in American Indian cultures
• American Indian cultures have changed over time.
• Today, American Indians live and work in Virginia and the United States.
|Compare and contrast differing sets of ideas.|
Gather, classify, and interpret information.
Construct and explain simple charts.
Collect, organize, and record information.